The key purpose of this role is to deliver innovative, efficient, safe, practical and ingenious structural engineering solutions on all projects and other activities.
The Senior Structural Engineer’s responsibilities will include performing simple and complex analysis and design of various structures with emphasis on bridges, metro stations, tunnels, buildings as well as conducting field investigation and construction phase observation.
The Senior Structural Engineer will also manage, support and coach junior engineers and technicians to produce complete, coordinated and high-quality project information (calculations, drawings, specifications and other documents) on time and on budget to meet agreed deadlines.
- Perform design and analysis for various structures;
- Develop solutions to challenges presented by the client within budget, schedule and project constraints;
- Issue reports, schedules, estimates of probable costs;
- Conduct assessments and evaluations of existing structures;
- Review designs prepared by others as part of a Technical Quality Management process;
- Provide day to day supervision of junior engineers and technicians;
- Attend meetings with clients, other professionals and organizations;
- Ensure all designs are thoroughly checked independently by other engineers, and ensure all errors are corrected prior to issue of the documents;
- Ensure that adequate notes or corrections are added to drawings;
- Record and discuss with the Head of Structural Department errors and problems, so that corrective action can be taken;
- Work as is necessary to meet deadlines and agreed programmed dates while maintaining high standards and helping others meet their deadlines, as necessitated by the needs of the business;
- Maintain good, clear and proactive communication with all relevant members of the design team;
- Demonstrate and share expert structural engineering knowledge freely and helpfully to engender a supportive, friendly and working environment for all.
Master’s Degree in Civil Structural Engineering;
Minimum of 6 years of project engineering experience;
Experience with layout & design of bridges and related highway structures;
Familiarity with design and analysis using various materials such as steel, concrete, precast concrete, prestressed and post-tensioned concrete, composite steel and concrete structures.
Essential knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a project team;
- Ability to understand complex structural problems and to collaborate with others to explore alternative solutions;
- Comfortable performing in an environment that requires independent evaluation, judgment and decision making;
- Oral and written communication skills including the ability to compose letters, outlines, memoranda, complex reports and to orally communicate technical information to others;
- Ability to work flexibly to support and develop junior engineers, developing communication systems to encourage collaboration and feedback;
- Good attention to detail and accuracy in preparation of information which is sent out from the office;
- High level of computer literacy with familiarity and experience of using FE software such as Strand7, Autodesk Robot;
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills (at least B2 level).
Work location: Trento
Occasional national and international travel required.
Ability to work additional and/or nonstandard office hours, as required.